Monday, October 6, 2014

Blog Post 7

Summary of videos
Video #1: How To Make An Audio QR Code
This video was of Michele Bennett showing us how to create an audio QR code. "It is kind of like making a recording of yourself on a tape recorder but it is on a computer but a lot faster", says Bennett. There are two different websites to use with this process and the first one is www.recordmp3.org. How it works is you go on to www.recordmp3.org and then record yourself maybe reading a book, giving instructions, or just simply teaching a lesson. From this step you go onto QRcode-monkey.com, this is basically the QR code generator. From this website you can go on to create a QR Code to send to students and as well as parents. It can also be used with URL, text, and even email to turn into a code! This allows a smartphone to scan the code to have forever by downloading free QR Code to scan. This process simply allows students to go back and listen to the lesson, book, instructions, etc. as many times as they want so they can comprehend everything smoothly without going through the trouble of asking a bunch of different questions in a classroom.

Video #2: iPad Centers
Mrs. Ginger Tuck, kindergarten teacher at Gulf Shores Elementary, introduces to us that you can simply have the student videotape themselves on the iPad of them reading. When they get done reading they can go back and watch and listen to their video and see what mistakes the students made and also to comprehend what they read! This is a great way to get your students learning on their own!

Video #3: Poplet
Poplet is a free app that you can download on your device! Mrs. Ginger Tuck shows us that poplets are essentially a web that you can create to outline your students reading. It simply keeps what all they learned in a book, etc. in their iPad on one page. The students create them by using pictures and texts to keep them organized on what they read and puts things into a better perspective to understanding everything they learned while reading the book. The students can go on to printing these out and using them for a studying tool, this is a great way to get your students learning in a fun way.

Video #4: Alabama Virtual Library (AVL)
Mrs. Ginger Tuck teaches us how her students use Alabama Virtual Library. First, the students learn how to log in and download AVL in the library then go from there in the classroom. AVL is a great search engine to use for research. The way Ginger Tuck uses it in her classroom is she gives the students certain topics and they research it and listen or watch a video or audio to learn about that topic, once they do that they draw a picture of it and write a sentence of something they learned about it. This is a tool that I used throughout high school and it became very influential and helpful for me to learn things a lot better. This is a great tool for younger students to become familiar with researching for projects and is very hands on.

Video #5: Discovery Education Board
This video was created by Mrs. Shirley in her first grade class at Gulf Shores Elementary School. Mrs. Shirley and one of her students show us how to use discovery education to create a discovery board. They search certain topics and create a board that helps keep them organized with things that they got to discover.

Here lately I have been thinking about how I can better myself into being a teacher who incorporates technology and Project Based Learning. Ways of how I think I can be successful at this is by using a lot of these hands on tools that I described and have previously described throughout my blog. I have learned a lot just from learning about all of these different things through technology. From what I have learned, I need to get in touch with Gulf Shores Elementary School and talk with them about their research tools and how they use technology throughout their classroom and their ways of teaching through technology. My greatest strength is learning about technology and the things that go along with it very quickly, but one of my weaknesses are not knowing how to incorporate these tools within my lesson effectively. Through my personal network, I will begin to add various teachers to use as a reference to help with new and creative ideas and a fun way for students to learn the material!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Savannah.
    You did a really good job getting the main topics out of each video and summing them up. I like that you can acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses. By doing this, you can grow as an educator. Keep posting quality post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When they get done reading…" Better: When they finish reading…

    "...introduces to us that you can simply have the student videotape themselves on the iPad of them reading." Better: shows us how students can create a video of themselves reading on an iPad.

    "...can go on to print can go on to printing these out and using them for a studying tool, this is a great way to get your students learning in a fun way." Better: …can print these and use them as a study tool. This is a great way to involve your students in learning in a fun way.

    "First, the students learn how to log in and download AVL in the library then go from there in the classroom." On it everything in this sentence after library. If you need to say something else put it in a separate sentence. I do not think you need anything else.

    "This is a tool that I used throughout high school and it became very influential and helpful for me to learn things a lot better. " Awkward. Better: This is a tool that I used in high school. It helped me learn better.

    "... how I can better myself into being a teacher…" Better: ...improve my teaching skills…

    "Ways of how I think I can be successful at this is by using a lot of these hands on tools that I described and have previously described throughout my blog." Better I can be successful as a teacher by using the tools that I have described.

    Poorly written although it covered the assignment fairly well. You need to spend time editing your writing. It is awkward, wordy, and often confusing. Use short sentences. Be clear in what you say.

    ReplyDelete